Howard County, Missouri Records
Howard County, Missouri (Map It) was created on January 23, 1816 from St. Charles County and St. Louis County. The county was named in honor of Benjamin Howard (1760-1814), a Congressman from Kentucky, governor of Missouri Territory and a brigadier general in theWar of 1812.
Howard County Cities and Towns include Armstrong, Fayette, Franklin, Glasgow, New Franklin.
A Map of Howard County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Howard County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Howard County, MO Courthouse
The Howard County Courthouse is located in Fayette, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Howard county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Fire destroyed the courthouse December 1, 1886. No recorde were lost.
- Howard County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1816 and Land Records from 1816.
- Howard County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1818 and Court & Divorce Records from 1816.
- Howard County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-93.
- Howard County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Howard County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Howard County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Howard County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Howard County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- South Howard County Historical Society
- Howard County Genealogical Society , 201 South Main Street, Fayette, MO 65248; Phone: (660) 248-3348
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri
- Boonslick Historical Society of Cooper and Howard Counties, 811 7th Street Terrace, Boonville, MO 65233; (660) 882-6370
- Fayette Area Heritage Association, P.O. Box 124, 120 North Church Street, Fayette, MO 65248; Phone: (660) 248-2200
- United Methodist Church-Missouri West Conference Central Methodist College
- Howard County, Missouri Message Boards
- Howard County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Howard County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Howard County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Howard Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Howard County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Howard County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Howard Co. MOGenweb
- Howard County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Howard County, Missouri Military Records