Chariton County, Missouri Records
Chariton County, Missouri (Map It) was created on November 16, 1820 from Howard County. The county was named for the Chariton River, a tributary of the Missouri River, whose naming origin is disputed.
Chariton County is bordered by Linn County (north), Macon County (northeast), Randolph County (east), Howard County (southeast), Saline County (southwest), Carroll County (west), Livingston County (northwest).
Chariton County Cities and Towns include Brunswick, Bynumville, Dalton, Forest Green, Keytesville, Marceline, Mendon, Prairie Hill, Rothville, Salisbury, Snyder, Sumner, Triplett.
A Map of Chariton County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Chariton County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Chariton County, MO Courthouse
The Chariton County Courthouse is located in Keytesville, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Chariton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
A fire in the clerk's office, apart from the courthouse, destroyed all County Court records November 11, 1861, and fires set by Confederates on September 20, 1864, destroyed the courthouse. The brick courthouse, painted white in 1969, was destroyed by fire August 27, 1973, during a renovation project.
- Chariton County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1821 and Land Records from 1826.
- Chariton County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1861 and Court & Divorce Records from 1820.
- Chariton County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-87.
- Chariton County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Chariton County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Chariton County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Chariton County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Chariton County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Chariton County Historical Society and Museum
- Friends of Keytesville, P.O. Box 40, 112 West Bridge Street, Keytesville, MO 65261; Phone: (816) 288-3425
- Chariton County, Missouri Message Boards
- Chariton County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Chariton County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Chariton County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Chariton Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Chariton County Court History
- Guide to Chariton County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Chariton County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Chariton Co. MOGenweb
- Chariton County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Chariton County, Missouri Military Records