Baltimore County, Maryland Records
Baltimore County, Maryland (Map It) was created on June 30, 1659 as an original county from unorganized territory. This county was named in honor of Cæcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore, first proprietor of the Maryland colony..
Baltimore County is bordered by York County, Pennsylvania (north), Carroll County (west), Harford County (east), Anne Arundel County (south), Howard County (southwest), Baltimore City.
Baltimore County Cities and Towns include has no incorporated municipalities.
A Map of Baltimore County, Maryland contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. Also view Maryland Town / Municipal Maps.
Baltimore County, Maryland Courthouse Records
Baltimore County, MD Courthouse
The Baltimore County Courthouse is located in Towson, Maryland. Since 1851 Baltimore City and Baltimore County have been two completely separate enities, each with their own records. Learn More About State of Maryland Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Baltimore county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Baltimore County Circuit Court Clerk has Marriage Records from 1661 and Land Records from 1661. The County Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Baltimore County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1666. The County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- Baltimore County Government Records are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives.
Baltimore County, Maryland Census Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1772-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1776, 1776 and 1778 Indexes
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Baltimore County, Maryland Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Maryland Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from August 1898 to present
- Marriage Records: from January, 1990 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Divorce Records: from January, 1992 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk of Circuit Court.
- Locations: Maryland Office of Vital Records, Maryland State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records Division of Vital Records & Mental Hygiene, 6550 Reisterstown Rd., Reistertown Road Plaza, Baltimore, MD 21215, (410) 764-3038 or (800) 832-3277
Baltimore County, Maryland Resources
- State of Maryland Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Maryland
- Baltimore County Genealogical Society
- Baltimore County Historical Society
- Catonsville Historical And Genealogical Section
- Dundalk Patapsco Neck Historical Society
- Baltimore County, Maryland Message Boards
Baltimore County, Maryland External Links
- Maryland Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Baltimore County, Maryland Books - Amazon
- Baltimore Co., Maryland - FindaGrave
- Maryland Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Baltimore County, Maryland Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Maryland (1719 - 1931)
- Baltimore Co. MDGenweb
- Baltimore County, Maryland Ancestry Database Collections
- Baltimore County, Maryland Military Records