Wayne County, Indiana Records
Wayne County, Indiana (Map It) was created on November 27, 1810 from Clark County, Dearborn County and Knox County. This county was named for Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
Wayne County Cities and Towns include Boston, Cambridge City, Centerville, Dublin, East Germantown, Economy, Fountain City, Greens Fork, Hagerstown, Milton, Mount Auburn, Richmond, Spring Grove, Whitewater.
Wayne County Townships include Abington, Boston, Center, Clay, Dalton, Franklin, Green, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, New Garden, Perry, Washington, Wayne, Webster. See Map of Wayne County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Wayne County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Wayne County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wayne county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Wayne County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1811, Probate Records from 1812 and Court Records from 1811. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Wayne County Recorder has Land Records from 1816. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Wayne County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Wayne County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Wayne County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wayne County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Wayne County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Wayne County Historian, Carolyn Lafever, 102 Orchard St., Cambridge City, IN 47327; Phone: (765) 478-5251
- Wayne County Genealogy Society
- Wayne County Historical Society and Museum
- Wayne Township Historical Society, 1220 S High School Road, Indianapolis 46241
- Abington Historical Society, 6384 N. Abington Rd., Brownsville, IN 47325
- Clay Township Historical & Preservation Society
- Hagerstown Museum and Arts Place
- Historic Centerville
- Wayne County, Indiana Message Boards
Wayne County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Wayne County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Wayne County
- Wayne County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Wayne Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Wayne County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Wayne Co. INGenweb
- Wayne County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Wayne County, Indiana Military Records