Henry County, Indiana Records
Henry County is bordered by Delaware County (north), Randolph County (northeast), Wayne County (east), Fayette County (southeast), Rush County (south), Hancock County (southwest), Madison County (northwest).
Henry County Cities and Towns include Ashland, Blountsville, Cadiz, Corwin, Dunreith, Fayne Siding, Foley, Grant City, Greensboro, Hillsboro, Honey Creek, Kennard, Knightstown, Lewisville, Luray, Maple Valley, Mechanicsburg, Messick, Middletown, Millville, Mooreland, Mount Lawn, Mount Summit, New Castle, New Lisbon, Ogden, Pierson Station, Raysville, Rogersville, Shirley, Spiceland, Springport, Stone Quarry Mills, Straughn, Sulphur Springs, Van Nuys, Westwood, Woodville.
Henry County Townships include Blue River, Dudley, Fall Creek, Franklin, Greensboro, Harrison, Henry, Jefferson, Liberty, Prairie, Spiceland, Stoney Creek, Wayne. See Map of Henry County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Henry County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Henry County, IN Courthouse
The Henry County Courthouse is located in New Castle, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Feb. 1864, Clerk, recorded, auditor and treasurer's records were saved. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henry county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Henry County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1823, Probate Records from 1822 and Court Records from 1825. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Henry County Recorder has Land Records from 1824. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Henry County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Henry County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Henry County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Henry County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Henry County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Henry County Historian, Richard P. Ratcliff, 6462 Woods Edge Drive, Spiceland, IN 47385; Phone: (765) 987-7182
- Henry County Historical Society Museum
- Genealogical Society of Henry , Indiana, Inc.,The Genealogical Society of Henry County, Indiana has officially disbanded due to lack of interest October 21, 2009.
- Historic Knightstown
- Kennard Historical Society, 750 Oak Blvd., Greenfield, IN 46140-1465
- Middletown Fall Creek Township Historical Society
- Spiceland Preservation and Tourism Society
- Henry County, Indiana Message Boards
Henry County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Henry County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Henry County
- Henry County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Henry Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Henry County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Henry Co. INGenweb
- Henry County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Henry County, Indiana Military Records