Madison County, Indiana Records
Madison County Cities and Towns include Alexandria, Anderson, Chesterfield, Country Club Heights, Edgewood, Elmhurst, Elwood, Frankton, Ingalls, Lapel, Markleville, Orestes, Pendleton, River Forest, Summitville, Woodlawn Heights.
Madison County Townships include Adams, Anderson, Boone, Duck Creek, Fall Creek, Green, Jackson, Lafayette, Monroe, Pipe Creek, Richland, Stony Creek, Union, Van Buren. See Map of Madison County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Madison County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Madison County, IN Courthouse
The Madison County Courthouse is located in Anderson, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Dec. 1880, Lost: marriage, circuit court and common pleas court records Saved: wills from 1879, deeds from 1825, and general index to deeds from 1829. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Madison County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1853, Probate Records from 1879 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Madison County Recorder has Land Records from 1822. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Madison County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Madison County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Madison County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Madison County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Madison County Historian, Stephen T. Jackson, 306 Edgewood Pl E., Anderson, IN 46011-1610, Home Phone: (765) 643-9897
- Alexandria-Monroe Township Historical Society
- Elwood Pipecreek Genealogical Society
- Elwood-Pipecreek Historical Society, 1600 Main St., Elwood, IN 46036-2023
- Madison County Historical Society
- Orestes Historical Society
- Pendleton Historical Museum
- Summitville Van Buren Township Historical Society
- Madison County, Indiana Message Boards
Madison County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Madison County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Madison County
- Madison County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Madison Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Madison County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Madison Co. INGenweb
- Madison County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Madison County, Indiana Military Records