Tipton County, Indiana Records
Tipton County Cities and Towns include Tipton, Kempton, Sharpsville, Windfall City, Elwood.
Tipton County Townships include Cicero, Jefferson, Liberty, Madison, Prairie and Wildcat. See Map of Tipton County Townships.
Tipton County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Tipton County, IN Courthouse
The Tipton County Courthouse is located in Tipton, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1857, Saved: records of genealogical interest. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Tipton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Tipton County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1844, Probate Records from 1844 and Court Records from 1853. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Tipton County Recorder has Land Records from 1844. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Tipton County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Tipton County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Tipton County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Tipton County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Tipton County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Tipton County Historian, Helene F. Heath, 5246 E. 400 N., Windfall, IN 46076-9412; Home Phone: (765) 945-7475
- Tipton County Historical Society
- Tipton County, Indiana Message Boards
Tipton County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Tipton County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Tipton County
- Tipton County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Tipton Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Tipton County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Tipton Co. INGenweb
- Tipton County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Tipton County, Indiana Military Records