Union County, Indiana Records
Union County, Indiana (Map It) was created on February 1, 1821 from Fayette County, Franklin County and Wayne County. This county was named because it united sections of three adjacent counties into one new entity.
Union County Cities and Towns include Liberty, West College Corner.
Union County Townships include Brownsville, Center, Harmony, Harrison, Liberty, Union. See Map of Union County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Union County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Union County, IN Courthouse
The Union County Courthouse is located in Liberty, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Feb. 1903, Water damage to records only. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Union county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Union County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1821, Probate Records from 1821 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Union County Recorder has Land Records from 1821. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Union County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Union County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from ?. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Union County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Union County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Union County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Union County Historian, Arthur M. Redinger, 101 Maple Court, Liberty, IN 47353-8987; Home Phone: (765) 458-5294
- Union County Historical Society, P.O. Box 143, Liberty, IN 47353-0143
- Union County, Indiana Message Boards
Union County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Union County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Union County
- Union County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Union Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Union County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Union Co. INGenweb
- Union County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Union County, Indiana Military Records