Bartow County, Georgia Records
Bartow County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 3, 1832 from a portion of Cherokee County. Originally called Cass County after General Lewis Cass . Bartow County was named in honor of General Francis S. Bartow (1816 - 61), Confederate political leader, and the first Confederate general killed in the American Civil War.
A Map of Bartow County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Bartow County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Bartow County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bartow county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Bartow County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1837 and Court Records from 1853. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Bartow County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1836 and Probate Records from 1853.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Bartow County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Bartow County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Bartow County, Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bartow County, Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Bartow County, Georgia Resources
- Northwest Georgia Historical & Genealogical Society
- Bartow County Genealogical Society
- Bartow County, Georgia Message Boards
Bartow County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Bartow County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Bartow Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Bartow County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Bartow County, GA History
- Bartow Co. GAGenweb
- Bartow County Historical Chronology
- Bartow County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Bartow County
- List of Civil War Units from Bartow County:
- 1st Confederate Regiment Georgia Volunteers, Company E1, Etowah Infantry
- 1st Confederate Regiment Georgia Volunteers, Company E2
- 1st Georgia State Line, Company F, Georgia Blues
- 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K, Etowah Guards
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company F, Davis Guards
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company G, Lewis Volunteers
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company H, Rowland Highlanders
- 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K, Rowland Infanty
- 19th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K, Kingston Volunteers
- 22nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company G, Fireside Volunteers
- 23rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company A, Bartow Yankee Killers
- 36th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Glenn), Company D
- 40th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company B, Bartow Sentinels
- 40th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company H, Veach Guards
- 40th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company I, Bartow Rangers
- 41st Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company C, Acworth Invincibles
- 60th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company H
- 60th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company K
- 63rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company I
- Bartow County, Georgia Military Records