Gordon County, Georgia Records
Gordon County, Georgia (Map It) was created on February 13, 1850 from Cass County and Floyd County. Portions of Cass County, Floyd County, Murray County, Pickens County, and Walker County counties was added to Gordon County, while transferring land to Floyd County and Murray County counties. Gordon County was named in honor of William Washington Gordon (1796-1842), first president of the Central of Georgia Railroad.
Gordon County is bordered by Murray County (north), Whitfield County (north), Gilmer County (northeast), Pickens County (east), Cherokee County (southeast), Bartow County (south), Floyd County (west), Walker County (northwest)
A Map of Gordon County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Gordon County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Gordon County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Gordon county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Gordon County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1850 and Court Records from 1850. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Gordon County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1864 and Probate Records from 1856.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Gordon County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Gordon County Tax Assessor’s Office
- The Gordon County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Gordon County, Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Gordon County, Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Gordon County, Georgia Resources
Gordon County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Gordon County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Gordon Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Gordon County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Gordon County, GA History
- Gordon Co. GAGenweb
- Gordon County Historical Chronology
- Gordon County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Gordon County
- Gordon County, Georgia Military Records