Cobb County, Georgia Records
Cobb County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 2, 1832 from Cherokee County. Cobb County was named in honor of Colonel Thomas Willis Cobb (1784 - 1835), a hero of the War of 1812 and a U.S. Congressman.
Cobb County is bordered by Cherokee County (north), Fulton County (east), southeast, Douglas County (originally part of Campbell) (southwest), Paulding County (west), Bartow County (originally named Cass) (northwest).
A Map of Cobb County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cobb County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Cobb County, GA Courthouse
The Cobb County Courthouse is located in Marietta, Georgia. The County Courthouse was destroyed by Shermans troops in 1865 destroying all records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cobb county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Cobb County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1865 and Court Records from 1865. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Cobb County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1865 and Probate Records from 1865.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Cobb County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Cobb County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Cobb County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cobb County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Cobb County, Georgia Resources
- Cobb County Public Library
- Cobb County Genealogical Society, Inc.
- Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society
- Kennesaw Historic Preservation Commission, 2529 J O Stephenson Ave NW; Kennesaw, GA 30144-2797; Jeff Drobney; (770) 424-8274 Ext 3204.
- Smyrna Historical & Genealogical Society, and Smyrna Museum
- Cobb County, Georgia Message Boards
Cobb County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Cobb County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Cobb Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Cobb County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Cobb County, GA History
- Cobb Co. GAGenweb
- Cobb County Historical Chronology
- Cobb County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Cobb County
- Cobb County, Georgia Military Records