Cherokee County, Georgia Records
Cherokee County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 21, 1830 from lands previously held by the Cherokee Indians in the Cherokee Cession of 1831.. Portions of Cherokee County were used to create Pickens County (1853) and Milton County (1857). Between 1847 and 1869 transferred land to Cass County (Bartow), Cobb County, Forsyth County, and Pickens County. . Cherokee County was named in honor of Cherokee Nation, which controlled this part of the state autonomously until 1831.
A Map of Cherokee County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cherokee County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Cherokee County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cherokee county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Cherokee County Clerk of Courts has Land Records from 1833 and Court Records from 1832. The County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Cherokee County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1841 and Probate Records from 1833.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Cherokee County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Cherokee County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Cherokee County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cherokee County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Cherokee County, Georgia Resources
- Cherokee County Historical Society
- Northwest Georgia Historical & Genealogical Society
- Cherokee County, Georgia Message Boards
Cherokee County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Cherokee County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Cherokee Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Cherokee County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Cherokee County, GA History
- Cherokee Co. GAGenweb
- Cherokee County Historical Chronology
- Cherokee County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Cherokee County
- Cherokee County, Georgia Military Records