Floyd County, Georgia Records
Floyd County, Georgia (Map It) was created on December 3, 1832 from Cherokee County . Portions of Floyd County were used to create Chattooga County (1838), Gordon County (1850), and Polk County (1851). Between 1840 and 1856, the General Assembly transferred land between Chattooga County and Floyd County on ten occasions. Floyd County was named in honor of General John Floyd (1769 - 1839), soldier and a U.S. Congressman.
A Map of Floyd County, Georgia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Floyd County, Georgia Courthouse Records
Floyd County, GA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Floyd county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- History of Baker County, Georgia Courthouse
- Floyd County Clerk of Superior Court has Land Records from 1840 and Court Records from 1840. The County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. Be aware that Lands were given to Georgia citizens by lotteries for the years 1832, 1832 (Gold), 1833.
- Floyd County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1834 and Probate Records from 1837.The County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Floyd County Tax Digests are records scanned from microfilm in the Georgia Archives.
- Floyd County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Floyd County, Georgia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Georgia Census Substitutes 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Floyd County, Georgia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Georgia Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1919 to present.
- Marriage Records: from June 9, 1952 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. Contact the County Clerk of Superior Court.
- Locations: Georgia Division of Public Health, Vital Records, 2600 Skyland Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30319; (404) 679-4702
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Floyd County, Georgia Resources
- Northwest Georgia Historical & Genealogical Society
- Cave Spring Historical Society
- Chieftains Museum
- Oak Hill & Martha Berry Museum
- Rome Area History Museum
- Floyd County, Georgia Message Boards
Floyd County, Georgia External Links
- Georgia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Floyd County, Georgia Books - Amazon
- Floyd Co., Georgia - FindaGrave
- Georgia Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Georgia Virtual Vault - historical documents, from 1733 to the present
- Floyd County, Georgia Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Georgia (1752 - 1997)
- Floyd County, GA History
- Floyd Co. GAGenweb
- Floyd County Historical Chronology
- Floyd County, Georgia Ancestry Database Collections
- Historical Maps of Floyd County
- Floyd County, Georgia Military Records