Pendleton County, West Virginia Records
Pendleton County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on December 4, 1787 from portions of Augusta County, Virginia, Hardy County and Rockingham County, Virginia. The county was named in honor of Edmund Pendleton (1721-1803), member of the First Continental Congress.
Pendleton County is bordered by Grant County (north), Hardy County (northeast), Rockingham County, Virginia (east), Augusta County, Virginia and Highland County, Virginia (south), Pocahontas County (southwest), Randolph County (west).
A Map of Pendleton County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Pendleton County Cities and Towns include Brandywine, Circleville, Franklin, Moyers, Onego, Riverton, Seneca Rocks, Sugar Grove, Upper Tract
Pendleton County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Pendleton County, WV Courthouse
The Pendleton County Courthouse is located in Franklin, West Virginia. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pendleton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863. Courthouse Fire in 1924, but no records lost.
- Pendleton County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1853, Marriage Records from 1800, Land Records from 1789 and Probate Records from 1789.
- Pendleton County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1789.
Pendleton County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810 (fragmented), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Pendleton County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Pendleton County, West Virginia Resources
- Pendleton County Historical Society, Inc., Main Street, PO Box 383, Franklin, WV 26807; Phone: (304) 358-7366
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy Boards
Pendleton County, West Virginia External Links
- West Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 - 1904)
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Books - Amazon
- Pendleton Co., West Virginia - FindaGrave
- Pendleton County Encyclopedia
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Pendleton Co. WVGenweb
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Military Records