Lewis County, West Virginia Records
Lewis County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on December 18, 1816 from portions of Harrison County. The county was named in honor of Colonel Charles Lewis (1733-1774), who was killed at the decisive Battle of Point Pleasant.
A Map of Lewis County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lewis County Cities and Towns include Alum Bridge, Camden, Crawford, Horner, Ireland, Jane Lew, Orlando, Roanoke, Vadis, Valley Chapel, Walkersville, Weston, Wildcat
Lewis County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Lewis County, WV Courthouse
The Lewis County Courthouse is located in Weston, West Virginia. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lewis county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863. Courthouse Fire in 1886 destroyed courthouse, but records were saved.
- Lewis County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1853, Marriage Records from 1816, Land Records from 1817 and Probate Records from 1816.
- Lewis County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1817.
Lewis County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lewis County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Lewis County, West Virginia Resources
- Lewis County Genealogical-historical Society, 252 Main Avenue, Weston 26452
- Lewis County Chamber of Commerce
- Lewis County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Lewis County, West Virginia Genealogy Boards
Lewis County, West Virginia External Links
- West Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 - 1904)
- Lewis County, West Virginia Books - Amazon
- Census returns of Lewis County (West) Virginia for 1850 : copied from the original federal census records in the Census Bureau,
- Lewis Co., West Virginia - FindaGrave
- Lewis County Encyclopedia
- Lewis County, West Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Lewis Co. WVGenweb
- Lewis County, West Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Lewis County, West Virginia Military Records