Chatham County, North Carolina Records
Chatham County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on April 1, 1771 from Orange County. This county was named for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham (1708–1778), Secretary of State during the French and Indian War and was later Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Chatham County is bordered by Orange County (north), Durham County (northeast), Wake County (east), Harnett County (southeast), Lee County (south), Moore County (southwest), Randolph County (west), Alamance County (northwest).
Chatham County Cities and Towns include Fearrington, Goldston, Pittsboro, SilerCity, BearCreek, Bennett, Bonlee, Bynum, Carbonton, Corinth, Gulf, Haywood, Moncure, SilkHope, Wilsonville, Brickhaven. A Map of Chatham County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Ohio maps at MapGeeks.org.
Chatham County Townships include Albright, Baldwin, Bear Creek, Cape Fear, Center, Gulf, Hadley, Haw River, Hickory Mountain, Matthews, New Hope, Oakland, and Williams. View a Map of Chatham County Townships.
Chatham County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Chatham County, NC Courthouse
Old Chatham County Courthouse
The Chatham County Courthouse is located in Pittsboro, North Carolina. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Chatham county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Also see the Chatham County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- Chatham County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from ?, Marriage Records from 1772, Death Records from ? and Land Records from 1771.
- Chatham County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1771, Court Records from 1757 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records.
- Chatham County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Chatham Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Chatham County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (incomplete), 1800 (incomplete), 1810 (incomplete), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1784-1787
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Chatham County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Chatham County, North Carolina Resources
Chatham County, North Carolina External Links
- Maine Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 - 1977)
- Chatham County, North Carolina Books - Amazon
- Marriages of Chatham County, North Carolina, 1772-1868
- Chatham Co., North Carolina - FindaGrave
- Chatham County, 1771-1971
- A History of Chatham County, North Carolina
- North Carolina Digital Collections
- Chatham County, North Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Chatham Co. NCGenweb
- Chatham County, North Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- Chatham County, North Carolina Military Records
- North Carolina City Directories