Buchanan County, Missouri Records
Buchanan County is bordered by Andrew County (north), DeKalb County (northeast), Clinton County (east), Platte County (south), Atchison County, Kansas (southwest), Doniphan County, Kansas (northwest).
Buchanan County Cities and Towns include Saint Joseph, Agency, De Kalb, Easton, Halls, Lewis and Clark Village, Rushville.
Buchanan County Townships include Agency Township, Bloomington Township, Center Township, Crawford Township, Jackson Township, Lake Township, Marion Township, Platte Township, Rush Township, Tremont Township, Washington Township, Wayne Township.
A Map of Buchanan County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Buchanan County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Buchanan County, MO Courthouse
The Buchanan County Courthouse is located in Saint Joseph, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Buchanan county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Buchanan County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1839 and Land Records from 1839.
- Buchanan County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1839 and Court & Divorce Records from 1839.
- Buchanan County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-93.
- Buchanan County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Buchanan County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Buchanan County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Buchanan County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Buchanan County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Benton County Genealogical Society
- Saint Joseph Historical Society
- Saint Joseph Public Library, Central Branch, 927 Felix, St. Joseph, MO 64501; (816) 232-7729
- Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society
- St. Joseph Museum
- Pony Express Historical Association, Box 1022, 1202 Penn Street, St. Joseph, MO 64503; Phone: (816) 232-8206
- Knea-Von Black Archive and Museum
- National Military Heritage Society
- Buchanan County, Missouri Message Boards
- Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
Buchanan County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Buchanan County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Buchanan Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Buchanan County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Buchanan County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Buchanan Co. MOGenweb
- Buchanan County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Buchanan County, Missouri Military Records