St. Joseph County, Michigan Records
St. Joseph County, Michigan (Map It) was created on October 29, 1829 from unorganized territory . The county was named for the St. Joseph River, which gains much of its volume within the county .
St. Joseph County Cities, Towns & Villages include Sturgis, Three Rivers, Burr Oak, Centreville, Colon, Constantine, Mendon, White Pigeon.
St. Joseph County Townships include Burr Oak, Colon, Constantine, Fabius, Fawn River, Florence, Flowerfield, Leonidas, Lockport, Mendon, Mottville, Nottawa, Park, Sherman, Sturgis, White Pigeon.
A Map of St. Joseph County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
St. Joseph County, Michigan Courthouse Records
St. Joseph County, MI Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in St. Joseph county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- St. Joseph County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1832. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also St. Joseph County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- St. Joseph County Register of Deeds has Land from 1830.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- St. Joseph County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1832. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- St. Joseph County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1842. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
St. Joseph County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
St. Joseph County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
St. Joseph County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Colon Historical Society
- Governor Barry Historical Society 340 Florence Constantine 49042
- Tri-state Genealogical Society c/o Sturgis Public Library 130 N. Nottawa St. Sturgis MI 49091; 1-616-651-3597
- St. Joseph County Historical Society
- St. Joseph Genealogical Society
- Sturgis Historical Society
- Three Rivers Genealogical Society
- St. Joseph County Genealogical Society
- St. Joseph County Michigan Message Boards
- St. Joseph County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
St. Joseph County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- St. Joseph County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- St. Joseph Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- St. Joseph County Michigan Wikipedia
- County History - St. Joseph County Michigan
- St. Joseph County Michigan Wiki
- St. Joseph County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- St. Joseph Co. MIGenweb
- St. Joseph County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- St. Joseph County, Michigan Military Records