Newaygo County, Michigan Records
Newaygo County Cities, Towns & Villages include Fremont, Grant, Newaygo, White Cloud, Hesperia.
Newaygo County Townships include Ashland, Barton, Beaver, Big Prairie, Bridgeton, Brooks, Croton, Dayton, Denver, Ensley, Everett, Garfield, Goodwell, Grant, Home, Lilley, Lincoln, Merrill, Monroe, Norwich, Sheridan Charter, Sherman, Troy, Wilcox.
A Map of Newaygo County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Newaygo County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Newaygo County, MI Courthouse
The Newaygo County Courthouse is located in White Cloud, Michigan. Some early records prior to organization on January 27, 1851 may be located in Kent County and Ottawa County. Learn More About State of Michigan Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Newaygo county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Newaygo County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1851. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Newaygo County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Newaygo County Register of Deeds has Land from 1840.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Newaygo County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1880. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Newaygo County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1893. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Newaygo County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Newaygo County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Newaygo County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Newaygo County Society for History and Genealogy
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society
- Newaygo County Michigan Message Boards
- Newaygo County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Newaygo County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Newaygo County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Newaygo Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Newaygo County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Newaygo Co. MIGenweb
- Newaygo County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Newaygo County, Michigan Military Records