Isabella County, Michigan Records
Isabella County, Michigan (Map It) was created on March 2, 1831 from Michilimackinac County and unorganized territory. The county was named for Queen Isabella I (1451-1504) of Spain, under whose patronage Columbus undertook his voyages. .
Isabella County Cities, Towns & Villages include Clare, Mount Pleasant, Rosebush, Shepherd, Lake Isabella.
Isabella County Townships include Broomfield, Chippewa, Coe, Coldwater, Deerfield, Denver, Fremont, Gilmore, Isabella, Lincoln, Nottawa, Rolland, Sherman, Union Charter, Vernon, Wise.
A Map of Isabella County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Isabella County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Isabella County, MI Courthouse
The Isabella County Courthouse is located in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. Some early records prior to organization on February 11, 1859 may be located in Saginaw County, Ionia County and Midland County. Learn More About State of Michigan Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Isabella county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Isabella County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1859. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Isabella County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Isabella County Register of Deeds has Land from 1838.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Isabella County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1859. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Isabella County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1880. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Isabella County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Isabella County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Isabella County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Isabella County Genealogical Society
- Mt. Pleasant Area Historical Society
- Shepherd Area Historical Society
- Shepherd Area Genealogical Society, 7859 E. Walton Rd., Shepherd 48883
- Isabella County Michigan Message Boards
- Isabella County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Isabella County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Isabella County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Isabella Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Isabella County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Isabella Co. MIGenweb
- Isabella County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Isabella County, Michigan Military Records