Ionia County, Michigan Records
Ionia County Cities, Towns & Villages include Belding, Ionia, Portland, Clarksville, Hubbardston (part), Lake Odessa, Lyons, Muir, Pewamo, Saranac.
Ionia County Townships include Berlin, Boston, Campbell, Danby, Easton, Ionia, Keene, Lyons, North Plains, Odessa, Orange, Orleans, Otisco, Portland, Ronald, Sebewa.
A Map of Ionia County, Michigan contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ionia County, Michigan Courthouse Records
Ionia County, MI Courthouse
The Ionia County Courthouse is located in Ionia, Michigan. Some early records prior to organization on April 3, 1837 may be located in Kent County. Learn More About State of Michigan Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ionia county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Ionia County Clerk has Births & Deaths from 1867 and Marriage Records from 1837. The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. See also Ionia County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Ionia County Register of Deeds has Land from 1836.The County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Ionia County Clerk of the Probate Court has Probate from 1835. The County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Ionia County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court from 1845. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
Ionia County, Michigan Census Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1827-1870
- State Population Schedules: 1845, 1854, 1864, 1874, 1884 and 1894
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ionia County, Michigan Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Michigan Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1867 to present. Some of the records, especially pre-1906 births, pre-1897 deaths and pre-1926, were not filed with the state
- Divorce Records: from 1897. See County Clerk for ealier records.
- Locations: Michigan Office of Vital Statistics, 201 Townsend Street Capitol View Building 3rd Floor Lansing MI 48913; (517) 335-8666
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Ionia County, Michigan Resources
- State of Michigan Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Michigan
- Ionia County Genealogical Society
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society
- Belding Area Historical Society 5143 Orleans Rd. Orleans 48865
- Lake Odessa Area Historical Society
- Portland Area Historical Society
- Ionia County Michigan Message Boards
- Ionia County, Michigan Genealogy Boards
Ionia County, Michigan External Links
- Michigan Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Ionia County, Michigan Books - Amazon
- Ionia Co., Michigan - FindaGrave
- Michigan Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Ionia County, Michigan Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Michigan (1837 - 1995)
- Ionia Co. MIGenweb
- Ionia County, Michigan Ancestry Database Collections
- Ionia County, Michigan Military Records