Parke County, Indiana Records
Parke County, Indiana (Map It) was created on April 2, 1821 (effective April 2, 1821) from Vigo County, Unorganized Land and Wabash New Purchase. This county was named for Benjamin Parke, a delegate of Indiana Territory to the U.S. Congress.
Parke County Cities and Towns include Rockville, Bloomingdale, Marshall, Mecca, Montezuma, Rosedale.
Parke County Townships include Adams, Florida, Greene, Howard, Jackson, Liberty, Penn, Raccoon, Reserve, Sugar Creek, Union, Wabash, Washington. See Map of Parke County Townships.
Parke County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Parke County, IN Courthouse
The Parke County Courthouse is located in Rockville, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Oct. 1833, Saved: marriages from 1829; probate, deed and deed indexes from 1833. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Parke county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Parke County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1829, Probate Records from 1833 and Court Records from 1833. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Parke County Recorder has Land Records from 1816. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Parke County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Parke County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Parke County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Parke County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Parke County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Parke County Historian, Randall Wright, 418 N. College St., Rockville, IN 47872-1509; Home Phone: (765) 569-5127
- Parke County Historical Society and Museum
- Parke County, Indiana Message Boards
Parke County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Parke County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Parke County
- Parke County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Parke Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Parke County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Parke Co. INGenweb
- Parke County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Parke County, Indiana Military Records