Vigo County, Indiana Records
Vigo County, Indiana (Map It) was created on March 21, 1818 from Sullivan County. This county was named for Francis Vigo, Italian-born colonial spy during the American Revolutionary War.
Vigo County is bordered by Vermillion County (north), Parke County (northeast), Clay County (east), Sullivan County (south), Clark County, Illinois (southwest), Edgar County, Illinois (northwest).
Vigo County Cities and Towns include Terre Haute, West Terre Haute, Seelyville, Riley.
Vigo County Townships include Fayette, Harrison, Honey Creek, Linton, Lost Creek, Nevins, Otter Creek, Pierson, Prairie Creek, Prairieton, Riley and Sugar Creek. See Map of Vigo County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Vigo County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Vigo County, IN Courthouse
The Vigo County Courthouse is located in Terre Haute, Indiana. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Vigo county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Vigo County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1818, Probate Records from 1818 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Vigo County Recorder has Land Records from 1816. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Vigo County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Vigo County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Vigo County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Vigo County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Vigo County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Vigo County Historian, Brian M. McCormick, 236 McKinley Blvd., Terre Haute, IN 47803-1914; Home Phone: (812) 232-2034, Work Phone: (812) 232-3800
- Vigo County Historical Society
- Wabash Valley Genealogical Society
- Vigo County, Indiana Message Boards
Vigo County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Vigo County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Vigo County
- Vigo County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Vigo Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Vigo County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Vigo Co. INGenweb
- Vigo County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Vigo County, Indiana Military Records