Fountain County, Indiana Records
Fountain County, Indiana (Map It) was created on April 1, 1826 from Montgomery County and Wabash New Purchase . This county was named for Major James Fontaine, a hero of the American Revolutionary War.
Fountain County Cities and Towns include Attica, Covington, Veedersburg, Newtown, Mellott, Hillsboro, Wallace, Kingman.
Fountain County Townships include Cain, Richland, Shawnee, Troy, Wabash, Davis, Fulton, Jackson, Logan, Millcreek and Van Buren. See Map of Fountain County Townships.
Fountain County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Fountain County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Fountain county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Fountain County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1826, Probate Records from 1827 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Fountain County Recorder has Land Records from 1827. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Fountain County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Fountain County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Fountain County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Fountain County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Fountain County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Fountain County Historian, Robert Quirk, 3219 E. New Richmond Road, Wingate, IN 47994-8021; Home Phone: (765) 295-2604
- Fountain County Genealogical Society
- Fountain County Historical Society, 403 S. Brady St., Attica, IN 47918-1426
- Fountain County, Indiana Message Boards
Fountain County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Fountain County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Fountain County
- Fountain County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Fountain Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fountain County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Fountain Co. INGenweb
- Fountain County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Fountain County, Indiana Military Records