Marion County, Indiana Records
Marion County is bordered by Hamilton County (north), Hancock County (east), Shelby County (southeast), Johnson County (south), Morgan County (southwest), Hendricks County (west), Boone County (northwest).
Marion County Cities and Towns include Beech Grove, Clermont, Crows Nest, Homecroft, Indianapolis, Lawrence, Meridian Hills, N. Crows Nest, Rocky Ripple, Southport, Speedway, Spring Hill, Warren Park, West Newton, Williams Creek, Wynnedale.
Marion County Townships include Pike, Wayne, Decatur, Washington, Center, Perry, Lawrence, Warren, Franklin. See Map of Marion County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Marion County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Marion County, IN Courthouse
The Marion County Courthouse is located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Some materials have been microfilmed and are available in the City Microfilm & Archives Division that is located in the sub-basement down the hall from Records. Along with the Records Division, public access terminals are located in the Probate Division room 1741. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marion county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Marion County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1822, Probate Records from 1822 and Court Records from 1822. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Marion County Recorder has Land Records from 1822. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Marion County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Marion County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Marion County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Marion County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Marion County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Marion County Historian, David G. Vanderstel, 4415 Broadway St., Indianapolis, IN 46205-1847, Home Phone: (317) 926-6752
- Beech Grove Historical Society
- Decatur Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 42, West Newton, IN 46183-0042
- Franklin Township Historical Society
- Genealogical Society of Marion County
- Indianapolis Firefighters Historical Society
- Irvington Historical Society
- Marion County Historical Society
- Perry Township-Southport Historical Society
- Pike Township Historical Society
- Wayne Township Historical Society, 1155 S. High School Road, Indianapolis, IN 46241; Phone: (317) 299-7857
- Marion County, Indiana Message Boards
Marion County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Indianapolis Newspaper Index, 1848-1991
- Marion County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Marion County
- Marion County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Marion County (Indianapolis) Death Index
- Marion Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Marion County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Marion Co. INGenweb
- Marion County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Marion County, Indiana Military Records