Harrison County, Indiana Records
Harrison County, Indiana (Map It) was created on December 1, 1808 from Clark County and Knox County. This county was named for William Henry Harrison, governor of Indiana Territory and U.S. President.
Harrison County is bordered by Washington County (north), Floyd County (east), Jefferson County, Kentucky (southeast), Hardin County, Kentucky (south), Meade County, Kentucky (southwest), Crawford County (west).
Harrison County Cities and Towns include Bradford, Breckenridge, Bridgeport, Buena Vista, Central, Central Barren, Corydon, Corydon Junction, Crandall, Davidson, Depauw, Dixie, Dogwood, Elizabeth, Evans Landing, Fairdale, Fishtown, Frenchtown, Hancock Chapel, Hillcrest, Laconia, Lanesville, Little St. Louis, Locust Point, Lottick Corner, Macedonia, Mauckport, Moberly, Mott Station, New Amsterdam, New Boston, New Middletown, New Salisbury, Palmyra, Ramsey, Rosewood, Seven Springs, Sugar Grove, Titus, Valley City, and White Cloud. .
Harrison County Townships include Blue River, Boone, Franklin, Harrison, Heth, Jackson, Morgan, Posey, Spencer, Taylor, Washington and Webster.. See Map of Harrison County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Harrison County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Harrison County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Harrison county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Harrison County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1809, Probate Records from 1809 and Court Records from 1809. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Harrison County Recorder has Land Records from 1807. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Harrison County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Harrison County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Harrison County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Harrison County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Harrison County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Harrison County Historian, Daniel L. Bays, 161 Ponder Ln NE, Corydon, IN 47112-7221; Home Phone: (812) 738-3570
- Historical Society of Harrison County , 5850 Devil's Elbow Road NW, Corydon, IN 47112; Phone: (812) 738-2828 or (812) 736-2373
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society
- Harrison County, Indiana Message Boards
Harrison County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Harrison County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Harrison County
- Harrison County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Harrison Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Harrison County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Harrison Co. INGenweb
- Harrison County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Harrison County, Indiana Military Records