Marengo County, Alabama Records
Marengo County, Alabama (Map It) was created on February 6, 1818 from land acquired from the Choctaw Indians by the treaty of Oct. 24, 1816.. Marengo county was named for Napoleon's great victory at Marengo over the Austrian armies on June 14, 1800.
Marengo County is bordered by Hale County (north), Perry County (northeast), Dallas County (east), Wilcox County (southeast), Clarke County (south), Choctaw County (southwest), Sumter County (northwest), Greene County (north-northwest).
Marengo County Cities and Towns include Demopolis, Linden, Dayton, Faunsdale, Myrtlewood, Providence, Sweet Water, Thomaston.
A Map of Marengo County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Marengo County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Marengo County, AL Courthouse
The Marengo County Courthouse is located in Linden, Alabama. The County Seat was originally known as "Town of Marengo." In 1823 the name was changed to Linden, a shortened version of "Hohenlinden," scene of a French victory in Bavaria in 1800. Courthouse fires occurred in 1848 and 1965. There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1848 and 1965.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marengo county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Marengo County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1819 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Marengo County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1818, Probate Records from 1818 and Land Records from 1820.
- Marengo County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Marengo County Health Department has Birth Records from 1881, Death records from 1906.
Marengo County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Marengo County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Marengo County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Marengo County Genealogical Society, c/o Demopolis Public Library; 2111 E. Washington Ave, Demopolis, AL 36732
- Marengo County Historical Society, Box 159, Demopolis, AL 36732
- Demopolis Public Library, 334-289-1595
- Marengo County, Alabama Message Boards
Marengo County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Marengo County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Marengo Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Marengo Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Marengo County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Marengo County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Marengo County, Alabama Military Records