Dallas County, Alabama Records
Dallas County, Alabama (Map It) was created on February 9, 1818 from portions of the Creek cession of Aug. 9, 1814, Monroe County and Montgomery County.. Dallas county was named in honor of Alexander James Dallas (1759–1817), U.S. Secretary of Treasury.
Dallas County Cities and Towns include Selma, Valley Grande, Orrville.
A Map of Dallas County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Dallas County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Dallas County, AL Courthouse
The Dallas County Courthouse is located in Selma, Alabama. The previous county seat was at Cahaba, which also served as the state capital for a brief period. In 1865, the county seat was transferred to Selma.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dallas county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Dallas County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1821 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Dallas County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1818, Probate Records from 1821 and Land Records from 1818.
- Dallas Tax Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Dallas County Health Department has Birth Records from delayed birth Cert. rec. 1880-1930 , Death records from 1882-1888.
Dallas County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Dallas County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Dallas County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Central Alabama Genealogical Society, PO Box 125, Selma, AL 36702
- Selma-Dallas County Historical and Preservation Society, P. O. Box 586, Selma, AL 36702-0586 ; Publication: Courier
- Black Belt African-American Genealogical and Historical Society
- Selma-Dallas Public Library
- Dallas County, Alabama Message Boards
Dallas County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Dallas County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Dallas Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Dallas Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Dallas County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Dallas County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Dallas County, Alabama Military Records