Choctaw County, Alabama Records
Choctaw County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 29, 1847 from Sumter County and Washington County. Choctaw county was named for the Choctaw Indians, one of the four Indian groups that occupied what is now the State of Alabama.
Choctaw County is bordered by Sumter County (north), Marengo County (northeast), Clarke County (southeast), Washington County (south), Wayne County, Mississippi (southwest), Clarke County, Mississippi (west), Lauderdale County, Mississippi (northwest)
Choctaw County Cities and Towns include Butler, Gilbertown, Lisman, Needham, Pennington, Silas, Toxey.
A Map of Choctaw County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Choctaw County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Choctaw County, AL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Choctaw county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Choctaw County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1871 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Choctaw County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1873 and Land Records from 1873.
- Choctaw County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Choctaw County Health Department has Birth Records from Delayed birth Cert. Rec. 1870-1900, Death records from 1881-1893.
Choctaw County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Choctaw County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Choctaw County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Choctaw County Historical Society
- Choctaw Co. Public Library
- Choctaw County Genealogical Society
- Choctaw County Historical Museum
- Choctaw County, Alabama Message Boards
Choctaw County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Choctaw County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Choctaw Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Choctaw Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Choctaw County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Choctaw County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Choctaw County, Alabama Military Records