Washington County, Alabama Records
Washington County, Alabama (Map It) was created on June 4, 1800 as a county of the Mississippi Territory. Its area originally contained 26,400 square miles. The area of Washington County was later divided into 16 Mississippi counties and 29 Alabama counties. Washington county was named in honor of George Washington (1732–1799), 1st U.S. President.
Washington County is bordered by Choctaw County (north), Clarke County (east), Baldwin County (southeast), Mobile County (south), Greene County, Mississippi (southwest), Wayne County, Mississippi (northwest).
Washington County Cities and Towns include Chatom, Deer Park, Fruitdale, Leroy, Saint Stephens, Wagarville, McIntosh, Millry, Vinegar Bend, Tibbie, Hobson.
A Map of Washington County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Washington County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Washington County, AL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Washington county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Washington County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from ? and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Washington County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1802, Probate Records from 1820 and Land Records from 1796.
- Washington County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Washington County Health Department has Birth Records from 1908, Death records from 1908.
Washington County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Washington County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Washington County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Washington County Alabama Historical & Genealogical Society
- Washington County, Alabama Message Boards
Washington County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Washington County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Washington Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Washington Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Washington County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Washington County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Washington County, Alabama Military Records