Wise County, Virginia Records
Wise County is bordered by Letcher County, Kentucky (northwest), Pike County, Kentucky (north), Dickenson County (northeast), Russell County (east), Scott County (south), Lee County (southwest), Harlan County, Kentucky (west).
Wise County Cities and Towns include Appalachia, Big Stone Gap, Coeburn, Pound, Wise and St. Paul .
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Virginia maps.
Wise County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Wise County, VA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Wise County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Wise County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1856, Land Records from 1856, Court Records from 1856 and Probate Records from 1856.
- Wise County (VA) Treasurer
- Wise County Commissioner of Revenue
- Wise County and City of Norton Health Department, 134 Roberts Avenue, SW, Wise, Virginia 24293; (276) 328-8000
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
Wise County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wise County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Wise County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Historical Society of Southwest Virginia
- Wise County Historical Society
- Wise County, Virginia Message Boards
- Wise County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Wise County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Wise Co. Virginia
Wise County, Virginia External Links
- Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Wise County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Wise Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- A narrative history of Wise County, Virginia
- Big Stone Gap, Virginia
- Wise County : her industries, resources and prominent men.
- Wise County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Wise Co. VAGenweb
- Wise County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Wise County, Virginia Military Records