Letcher County, Kentucky Records
Letcher County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on March 3, 1842 from Perry County and Harlan County. The county was named in honor of Robert P. Letcher, fifteenth Governor of Kentucky (1840–1844) .
Letcher County is bordered by Knott County (northwest), Pike County (northeast), Wise County, Virginia (southeast), Harlan County (south), Perry County (southwest).
Letcher County Cities and Towns include Blackey, Fleming-Neon, Jenkins, McRoberts, Whitesburg.
A Map of Letcher County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Letcher County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Letcher County, KY Courthouse
The Letcher County Courthouse is located in Whitesburg, Kentucky. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Letcher county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Letcher County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1842, Land Records from 1842 and Probate Records from 1866 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Letcher County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1866. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Letcher County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Letcher County Elected Officials
Letcher County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Letcher County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Letcher County, Kentucky Resources
Letcher County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Letcher County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Letcher Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Letcher County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Letcher County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Letcher Co. KYGenweb
- Letcher County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- Letcher County, Kentucky Military Records