Bennington County, Vermont Records
Bennington County, Vermont (Map It) was created on February 11, 1779 as one of the original two counties. This particular county was named in honor of Benning Wentworth (1696–1770), the colonial governor of New Hampshire (1741–1766). .
Bennington County is bordered by Rutland County (north), Windsor County (northeast), Windham County (east), Franklin County, Massachusetts (southeast), Berkshire County, Massachusetts (south), Rensselaer County, New York (southwest), Washington County, New York (northwest).
Bennington County Cities and Towns include Arlington, Bennington, Dorset, Glastenbury, Landgrove, Manchester, Peru, Pownal, Readsboro, Rupert, Sandgate, Searsburg, Shaftsbury, Stamford, Sunderland, Winhall, Woodford.
The Town Maps of Bennington County, Vermont contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Bennington County, Vermont Courthouse Records
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials.
Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office.
Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Bennington County Courthouse, 207 South Street, Bennington, VT 05201; (802) 447-2700 Criminal 802-447-2727, has Land Records from 1782–1832 (county only) and Probate Records from 1778 to present. Bennington Probate District includes towns in the south part of the county and Manchester Probate District includes towns in the north part of the county
- Arlington Town Clerk, P.O. Box 304, Arlington, VT 05250; Phone: (802)375-2332
- Bennington Town Clerk, 205 South Street, Bennington, VT 05201; Phone: (802)442-1043
- Dorset Town Clerk, PO Box 0024, E. Dorset, VT 05253; Phone: (802)362-1178
- Landgrove Town Clerk, P. O. Box 508, Londonderry, VT 05148; Phone: (802)824-3716
- Manchester Town Clerk, P.O. Box 830, Manchester Center, VT 05255; Phone: (802)362-1315
- Peru Town Clerk, P.O. Box 127, Peru, VT 05152; Phone: (802)824-3065
- Pownal Town Clerk, P.O. Box 411, Pownal, VT 05261; Phone: (802)823-7757
- Readsboro Town Clerk, P.O. Box 187, Readsboro, VT 05350; Phone: (802)423-5405
- Rupert Town Clerk, P.O. Box 140, W. Rupert, VT 05776; Phone: (802)394-7728
- Sandgate Town Clerk, 2366 Sandgate Road, Sandgate, VT 05250; Phone: (802)375-9075
- Searsburg Town Clerk, P.O. Box 157, Wilmington, VT 05363; Phone: (802)464-8081
- Shaftsbury Town Clerk, P. O. Box 409, Shaftsbury, VT 05262; Phone: (802)442-4038
- Stamford Town Clerk, 986 Main Road, Stamford, VT 05352; Phone: (802)694-1361
- Sunderland Town Clerk, P.O. Box 295, E. Arlington, VT 05252; Phone: (802)375-6106
- Winhall Town Clerk, P.O. Box 389, Bondville, VT 05340; Phone: (802)297-2122
- Woodford Town Clerk, 1391 VT RTE 9, Woodford, VT 052019410; Phone: (802)442-4895
Bennington County, Vermont Census Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bennington County, Vermont Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: for most recent 5 years. For records over 5 years old see the Vermont State Archives below
- Locations: Vermont Department of Health, Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Section, P.O. Box 70, 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, VT 05402; (802) 863-7275
Bennington County, Vermont Resources
- Bennington Historical Society & Museum
- Dorset Historical Society
- Landgrove Historical Society, PO Box 734, Landgrove, VT 05148; Phone: (802) 824-6624
- Manchester Historical Society
- North Bennington Museum and Historical Society
- Historical Society of Peru, PO Box 73, Peru, VT 05152; Phone: (802) 824-5945
- Pownal Historical Society
- Readsboro Historical Society
- Rupert Historical Society, PO Box 84, Rupert, VT 05768; Phone: (802) 394-7864 or (802) 394-7738
- Russell Vermontiana Collection
- Shaftsbury Historical Society, PO Box 401, 3871 Vermont 7A, Shaftsbury, VT 05262; Phone:(802) 375-6376
- Stamford Historical Society, c/o Town Clerk, 986 Main Road, Stamford, VT 05352; Phone: (802) 694-1361
- Winhall Museum, PO Box 607, Bondville, VT 05340 ; Phone: (802) 297-2459
- Bennington County, Vermont Message Boards
Bennington County, Vermont External Links
- Vermont Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Vermont (1783–2006)
- Bennington Banner (Bennington, Vermont)
- Bennington Evening Banner (Bennington, Vermont)
- Bennington County, Vermont Books - Amazon
- Vermont, Bennington County, Manchester District Estate Files, 1779-1935 Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images.
- Bennington, Vermont Cemetery Inscriptions
- The gravestone records of Shaftsbury, Bennington County, Vermont
- Bennington Co., Vermont - FindaGrave
- History of Bennington County, Vt. : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers
- Memorials of a century
- Memorials of a century
- The story of Dorset
- Rupert, Vermont : a history
- Bennington County, Vermont Links - Cyndi's List
- Bennington Co. VTGenweb
- Bennington County, Vermont Ancestry Database Collections
- Vermont, Enrolled Militia Records, 1861-1867 Index and images of Vermont enrolled militia records that identify thousands of young men who served in the military or who were eligible for service. Includes some corrected entries.
- Bennington County, Vermont Military Records