Washington County, Rhode Island Records
Washington County, Rhode Island (Map It) was created on June 3, 1729 from part of Providence Plantations. The county was named for George Washington, American Revolutionary War general and first President of the USA.
Washington County is bordered by Windham County, Connecticut (northwest), Kent County (north), Bristol County (northeast), New London County, Connecticut (west), Newport County (east), Suffolk County, New York (southwest), Dukes County, Massachusetts (southeast).
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Rhode Island maps.
Washington County, Rhode Island Courthouse Records
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Washington county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Charlestown was established in 1669 and incorporated in 1738 from Westerly. It has Land Records from 1738, Probate Records from 1738 and Court Records from 1738. Villages include Burdickville, Carolina, Cross Mill, Kenyon, Quonochontaug, Shannock, Watchaug, Wood River Junction. Charlestown Town Clerk, 4540 South County Trail, Charlestown, RI 02813; Phone: 401-364-1200. More info
- Exeter was established in 1641 and incorporated in 1641 from North Kingstown. It has Land Records from 1742, Probate Records from 1742 and Court Records from 1742. Villages include Arcadia, Austin, Black Plain, Fisherville, Lewis City, Liberty, Millville. Exeter Town Clerks Office, 675 Ten Rod Road, Exeter, RI 02822; Phone: 401-294-3891. More info
- Hopkinton was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1757 from Westerly. It has Land Records from 1757, Probate Records from 1757 and Court Records from 1757. Villages include Alton, Ashaway, Barberville, Bethel, Brightman Hill, Burdickville, Canonchet, Centerville, Champlin Hill, Hope Valley, Locustville, Moscow, Potter Hill, Rockville, Woodville, Wyoming, Yawgoog. Hopkinton Town Clerk, 1 Townhouse Road, Hopkinton, RI 02833; Phone: 401-377-7777. More info
- Narragansett was established in 1888 and incorporated in 1901 from South Kingstown District, 1888. It has Land Records from 1888, Probate Records from 1901 and Court Records from 1901. Villages include Anawan Cliffs, Bonnet Shores, Cedar Point, Galilee, Great Island, Jerusalem, Narragansett Pier, Point Judith, Sand Hill Cove, Saunderstown, Scarborough, South Ferry, Wesquage. Was a district before becoming a town; 1888—1901 records in S. Kingstown. Proprietor’s records are in print: James Arnold, The Fones Record (1894; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1990). More info
- Richmond was established in 1669 and incorporated in 1747 from Charlestown. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Alton, Arcadia, Carolina, Elmhurst, Hillsdale, Kenyon, Shannock, Usequepaug, Wood River Junction, Woodville, Wyoming. Richmond Town Clerk, 5 Richmond Townhouse Road, Wyoming, RI 02898; Phone: 401-539-2497. More info
- South Kingstown was established in 1657 and incorporated in 1723 from Kingstown. It has Land Records from 1674, Probate Records from 1674 and Court Records from 1674. Villages include Bridgetown, Glenn Rock, Gould Crossing, Green Hill, Kingston, Matunuck, Peace Dale, Perryville, Rocky Brook, Tower Hill, Usequepaug, Wakefield, West Kingston. Kingstown divided into North and South in 1723. Records before that date were in North Kingston, but damaged in 1870. Copies are here. More info
- Westerly (called Haversham, 1686–89) was established in 1661 and incorporated in 1669 as an original town. It has Land Records from 1669, Probate Records from 1669 and Court Records from 1669. Villages include Avondale, Bradford, Dunn's Corners, Haversham, Misquamicut, Napatree Point, Pleasant Hill, Pleasant View, Potter Hill, Sandy Point, Shelter Harbor, Stillmanville, Watch Hill, Weekapaug, White Rock, Winnapaug. Westerly Town Hall, Town Hall, Westerly, RI 02891; Phone: 401-348-2500. More info
Washington County, Rhode Island Census Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- RI Census Substitutes Records: 1740-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1774, 1777, 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Washington County, Rhode Island Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Vital Records
- Birth and Marriage Records: for prior 100 years to present. For records older than 100 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Death Records: for prior 50 years to present. For records older than 50 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Divorce Records: for Divorce records 1962 to present are located at the Family Court, Garrahy Judicial Complex. Divorce Records prior to 1962 are at the RI Supreme Court Judicial Records Center.
- Locations: State of Rhode Island Department of Health, Rhode Island State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Civil Union Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Rhode Island Dept of Health, 3 Capitol Hill, Rm. 101, Providence, RI 02908-5097; (401) 222-2811
Washington County, Rhode Island Resources
- Charlestown Historical Society
- Hopkinton Historical Society, PO Box 475, Ashaway, RI 02804; TEL: (401) 337-2219
- South County History Center
- Rhode Island Labor History Society
- Richmond Historical Society
- Westerly Historical Society
- Washington County, Rhode Island Message Boards
- Washington County, Rhode Island Genealogy Boards
Washington County, Rhode Island External Links
- Rhode Island Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Rhode Island (1732–1921)
- Washington County, Rhode Island Books - Amazon
- State Census Records (familysearch.org) 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935
- A copy of the old epitaphs in the burying ground of Block Island, R.I.
- Inscriptions on the grave-stones in the old churchyard of St. Paul's Narragansett
- Washington Co., Rhode Island - FindaGrave
- History of the Episcopal Church in Narragansett, Rhode Island
- Historical sketch of the Baptist Church in Exeter, Rhode Island (Chestnut Hill)
- Historical sketch of the town of Hopkinton
- Washington County, Rhode Island Links - Cyndi's List
- Washington Co. RIGenweb
- Washington County, Rhode Island Ancestry Database Collections
- Military history of Westerly : 1710-1932
- Washington County, Rhode Island Military Records
- Westerly, Rhode Island Directories, 1888-90, 1892
- Rhode Island City Directories
- Directory of churches and religious organizations of Rhode Island