Kent County, Rhode Island Records
Kent County is bordered by Providence County (north), Bristol County (east), Washington County (south), New London County, Connecticut (west), Windham County, Connecticut (west), Newport County (southeast).
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Rhode Island maps.
Kent County, Rhode Island Courthouse Records
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Kent county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Coventry was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1743 from Warwick. It has Land Records from 1741, Probate Records from 1741 and Court Records from 1741. Villages include Anthony, Arkwright, Greene, Harris, Hopkins Hollow, Potterville, Quidneck, Rice City, Spring Lake, Summit, Tiogue, Washington, Whitman. COVENTRY TOWN HALL 1670 Flat River Road, Coventry, RI. 02816-8911 (FAX # 822-9132); HOURS: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; CLERK: 822-9173. More info.
- East Greenwich (called Dedford or Deptford, 1686-89) was formed in 1677 from Greenwich. It has Land Records from 1679, Probate Records from 1679 and Court Records from 1679. Villages include Frenchtown and Sun Valley . EAST GREENWICH TOWN HALL: P.O. Box 111, East Greenwich, RI. 02818-0111 (FAX # 886-8625); HOURS: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Labor Day to May 31); 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (June 1 to Labor Day); CLERK: 886-8604. More info
- West Greenwich was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1741 from East Greenwich. It has Land Records from 1741, Probate Records from 1741 and Court Records from 1741. Villages include Escoheag, Hopkins Hill, Kitt's Corner, Mishnock, Nooseneck, Robin Hollow, West Greenville Center, Wickaboxet. WEST GREENWICH TOWN HALL: 280 Victory Highway, West Greenwich, RI. 02817 (FAX # 397-6890); HOURS: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Wednesday); CLERK: Janet E. Olsson 397-5016. More info
- West Warwick was established in 1648 and incorporated in 1913 from Warwick. It has Land Records from 1913, Probate Records from 1913 and Court Records from 1913. Villages include Arctic, Birch Hill, Centerville, Clyde, Crompton, Harris, Jericho, Lippitt, Natick, Phenix, River Point, Wescott. WARWICK CITY HALL: 3275 Post Road, Warwick 02886 (FAX # 738-6639); HOURS: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; CLERK: 738-2000 X 6212. WEST WARWICK TOWN HALL: 1170 Main Street, West Warwick 02893-4829 (FAX # 822-9212); HOURS: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. FIN. TOWN MTG: 3rd Tuesday; 6/1 to Labor Day: 8:30 a.m. in May to 4:00 p.m.; CLERK: David D. Clayton 822-9200. More info
Kent County, Rhode Island Census Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- RI Census Substitutes Records: 1740-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1774, 1777, 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Kent County, Rhode Island Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Vital Records
- Birth and Marriage Records: for prior 100 years to present. For records older than 100 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Death Records: for prior 50 years to present. For records older than 50 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Divorce Records: for Divorce records 1962 to present are located at the Family Court, Garrahy Judicial Complex. Divorce Records prior to 1962 are at the RI Supreme Court Judicial Records Center.
- Locations: State of Rhode Island Department of Health, Rhode Island State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Civil Union Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Rhode Island Dept of Health, 3 Capitol Hill, Rm. 101, Providence, RI 02908-5097; (401) 222-2811
Kent County, Rhode Island Resources
- Coventry Historical Society
- East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society
- Pawtuxet Valley Preservation and Historical Society
- Rhode Island Mayflower Descendants
- Warwick Historical Society
- West Greenwich Historical Preservation Society
- Western Rhode Island Civic Historical Society
- East Greenwich Free Library
- Lincoln Public Library, Old River Road, Lincoln, RI 02865, Phone: (401) 333-2422
- Louttit Memorial Library, 274 Victory Highway, West Greenwich, RI 02817 Phone: (401) 397-3434
- Robert H Champlin Library, 1043 Main Street, West Warwick, RI 02893, Phone: (401) 828-3750
- Warwick Public Library, 600 Sandy Lane, Warwick, RI 02886
- Kent County, Rhode Island Message Boards
- Kent County, Rhode Island Genealogy Boards
Kent County, Rhode Island External Links
- Rhode Island Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Rhode Island (1732–1921)
- Kent County, Rhode Island Books - Amazon
- Kent Co., Rhode Island - FindaGrave
- Genealogies of Rhode Island Families, Vol. I
- The history of Warwick, Rhode Island : from its settlement in 1642 to the present time
- The early records of the town of Warwick
- History of the town of East Greenwich and adjacent territory : from 1677 to 1877
- A defence of Samuel Gorton and the settlers of Shawomet
- Historical sketches of the churches of Warwick, Rhode Island
- Kent County, Rhode Island Links - Cyndi's List
- Kent Co. RIGenweb
- Kent County, Rhode Island Ancestry Database Collections
- Kent County, Rhode Island Military Records
- Rhode Island City Directories
- Directory of churches and religious organizations of Rhode Island