Newport County, Rhode Island Records
Newport County, Rhode Island (Map It) was created on June 22, 1703 as an Original County. The county was named for the town (now city) of Newport, Wales.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Rhode Island maps.
Newport County, Rhode Island Courthouse Records
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Newport county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Jamestown was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1678 from Native lands, Conanicut. It has Land Records from 1678, Probate Records from 1678 and Court Records from 1678. Villages include Beavertail, Cedar Point, Conanicut, Dutch Island, Freebody Hill, Gould Island. More info
- Little Compton was established in 1682 and incorporated in 1746 from Plymouth Colony. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include * Adamsville, Briggs Point, Sakonnet, Tunipus . Became part of Rhode Island in 1747. Earlier records are at Plymouth Colony and Bristol County offices (see Massachusetts). More info
- Middletown was (Town Hall) established in 1639 and incorporated in 1743 from Newport. It has Land Records from 1743, Probate Records from 1743 and Court Records from 1743. Villages include Easton Point, Sachuest. More info
- Newport was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1784 as an Original Town. It has Land Records from 1639, Probate Records from 1639 and Court Records from 1639. Villages include Castle Hill, Coasters Harbor, Coddington Point, Fort Adams, Forty Steps, Goat Island, Ochre Point, Rose Island, Tonomy Hill. Records before 1783 at Newport Historical Society. More info
- New Shoreham was admitted to colony, in 1664 as Block Island (renamed, 1672); established in 1664 and incorporated in 1672. It has Land Records from 1672, Probate Records from 1672 and Court Records from 1672. Villages include Block Island. Part of Newport County until 1963. New Shoreham Town Clerk, Old Town Road, Block Island, RI 02807; Phone: 401-466-3200. More info
- The Town Portsmouth was established in 1638 and incorporated in 1640 as an Original Town. It has Land Records from 1636, Probate Records from 1636 and Court Records from 1636. Villages include Bristol Ferry, Cedar Island, Common Fence Point, Corey Lane, Despair Island, Dyer Island, Gould Island, Hog Island, Homestead, Hope Island, Hummocks, Island Park, Melville, Patience, Prudence, Quaker Hill. Pocasset proprietors’ records are in manuscript form at New Bedford, Massachusetts Public Library. More info
- Tiverton was established in 1694 and incorporated in 1746 from Dartmouth and Freetown, Mass.. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Bridgeport, Eagleville, Fogland Point, Grayville, Nannaquaket, North Tiverton, Tiverton Four Corners. Earlier records are in the Bristol County offices in Taunton, Massachusetts. More info
Newport County, Rhode Island Census Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- RI Census Substitutes Records: 1740-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1774, 1777, 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Newport County, Rhode Island Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Rhode Island Vital Records
- Birth and Marriage Records: for prior 100 years to present. For records older than 100 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Death Records: for prior 50 years to present. For records older than 50 years may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or the Rhode Island State Archives.
- Divorce Records: for Divorce records 1962 to present are located at the Family Court, Garrahy Judicial Complex. Divorce Records prior to 1962 are at the RI Supreme Court Judicial Records Center.
- Locations: State of Rhode Island Department of Health, Rhode Island State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Civil Union Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Rhode Island Dept of Health, 3 Capitol Hill, Rm. 101, Providence, RI 02908-5097; (401) 222-2811
Newport County, Rhode Island Resources
- Jamestown Historical Society
- Little Compton Historical Society
- Middletown Historical Society
- Newport Historical Society Headquarters & Resource Center
- Portsmouth Historical Society
- Preservation Society of Newport County
- Newport County, Rhode Island Message Boards
- Newport County, Rhode Island Genealogy Boards
Newport County, Rhode Island External Links
- Rhode Island Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Rhode Island (1732–1921)
- Newport Daily News (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport Mercury (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport Mercury And Weekly News (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport Navalog (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport Journal And Weekly News (Newport, Rhode Island)
- Newport County, Rhode Island Books - Amazon
- The early records of the town of Portsmouth
- Scrapbook of newspaper-clipping containing epitaphs from several cemeteries
- Newport Co., Rhode Island - FindaGrave
- Annals of Trinity Church : Newport, Rhode Island, 1698-1821
- Genealogies of Rhode Island Families, Vol. I
- History of Newport County, Rhode Island : from the year 1638 to the year 1887, including the settlement of its towns, and their
- Reminiscences of Newport
- Re-union of the sons and daughters of Newport, R.I. : August 23, 1859
- Early recollections of Newport, R.I. : from the year 1793 to 1811
- Newport County, Rhode Island Links - Cyndi's List
- Newport Co. RIGenweb
- Newport County, Rhode Island Ancestry Database Collections
- Newport County, Rhode Island Military Records
- Newport, Rhode Island Directories, 1887-92
- Rhode Island City Directories
- Directory of churches and religious organizations of Rhode Island