Somerset County, New Jersey Records
Somerset County Cities and Towns include Bernardsville, Bound Brook, Far Hills, Manville, Millstone, North Plainfield, Raritan, Rocky Hill, Somerville, South Bound Brook, Watchung. Communities include Basking Ridge, Belle Mead, Blackwells Mills, Blawenburg, East Millstone, Flagtown, Griggstown, Harlingen, Lamington, Martinsville, Middlebush, Neshanic, North Branch, Pleasant Plains, Six Mile Run, Somerset, South Branch, Zarephath.
Somerset County Townships include Bedminster, Bernards, Branchburg, Bridgewater, Franklin, Green Brook, Hillsborough, Montgomery, Warren.
A Map of Somerset County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Somerset County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Somerset County, NJ Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Somerset county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
In 1779 the courthouse, then at Millstone, was burned.
- Somerset County Clerk has Land Records from 1765 mortgages /1785 deeds and Marriage Records from 1765. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Somerset CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1794 orphans' court minutes /1804 surrogates' records. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Somerset County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Somerset County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Somerset County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Somerset County, New Jersey Resources
- Somerset County Historical Society
- Historical Society Of The Somerset Hills
- Somerset County Library
- Somerset County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Somerset County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Somerset County
Somerset County, New Jersey External Links
- New Jersey Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Newspaper clippings from the Sussex register
- Somerset County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Return of births in the township of Bernards, county of Somerset, state of New Jersey
- Land holders from survey by Benjamin Morgan
- Methodist Cemetery, Bernardsville, N.J.
- Old Presbyterian Churchyard, Bound Brook, N.J.
- Somerset Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- Quick Guide to Somerset County, New Jersey
- Northwestern New Jersey : a history of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties
- North of the Raritan Lotts : a history of the Martinsville, New Jersey area
- Index to Snell's History of Hunterdon and Somerset counties
- Somerset County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Somerset Co. NJGenweb
- Somerset County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Somerset County NJ D.O.T. Map
- Sketches and papers relating to the revolutionary days in Somerset County
- Somerset County, New Jersey Military Records