Mercer County, New Jersey Records
Mercer County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on February 22, 1838 from Burlington County, Hunterdon County, Middlesex County, and Somerset County. The county was named in honor of Continental Army General Hugh Mercer (1726–1777), who died at the Battle of Princeton.
Mercer County Cities and Towns include Trenton. Communities include Grover's Mill, Lawrenceville, Mercerville-Hamilton Square, Princeton Junction, Princeton North, Robbinsville, Titusville, Twin Rivers, White Horse, Windsor, Yardville-Groveville.
Mercer County Townships include East Windsor, Ewing, Hamilton, Hopewell, Lawrence, Princeton, Washington, West Windsor. Boroughs include Hightstown, Hopewell, Pennington, Princeton.
A Map of Mercer County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mercer County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Mercer County, NJ Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mercer county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Mercer County Clerk has Land Records from 1838 Where two years appear, the first refers to mortgages, the second to deeds. and Marriage Records from 1838. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Mercer CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1838 Where two years are given, the first is the date when orphans' court minutes begin, the second when surrogates' records and files begin .. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Mercer County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Mercer County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mercer County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Mercer County, New Jersey Resources
- Mercer County Cultural and Heritage Commission
- Hopewell Valley Historical Society
- Old Mill Hill Society
- Princeton Historical Society
- Trenton Historical Society
- Mercer County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Mercer County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mercer County
Mercer County, New Jersey External Links
- New Jersey Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Trenton Evening Times (Trenton, New Jersey)
- Trenton Times, The (Trenton, New Jersey)
- The Hopewell Herald (Hopewell, New Jersey)
- Trenton's newspapers, 1778-1932
- Mercer County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- The Town records of Hopewell, New Jersey
- Abstracts of Partitions and Divisions of the New Jersey Counties of Monmouth, Mercer, and Burlington
- Nottingham township, New Jersey minute book 1692-1710, 1752-1772
- Mercer Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- A history of Trenton, 1679-1929, two hundred and fifty years of a notable town with links in four centuries
- History of Princeton and its institutions
- History of the city of Trenton, New Jersey
- Mercer County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Mercer Co. NJGenweb
- Cornell and Princeton University Directories, 1922
- The church records of the Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville
- Princeton business directory, 1893-1894
- Mercer County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Be it ever so humble : the story of Hopewell, New Jersey, and its servicemen during World War II
- Mercer County, New Jersey Military Records