Missoula County, Montana Records
Missoula County, Montana (Map It) was created on February 02, 1865 from Montana Territory as a Original County. The county was named supposedly a contraction of the Flathead word, "im-i-sul-e-etiku", meaning "by or near the place of fear or ambush", a reference to Hell Gate Canyon, in which Flathead Native Americans were sometimes attacked by Blackfeet.
Missoula County is bordered by Mineral County (west), Sanders County (north), Lake County (north), Flathead County (northeast), Powell County (east), Granite County (south), Ravalli County (south), Idaho County, Idaho (southwest), Clearwater County, Idaho (southwest).
Missoula County Cities and Towns include Missoula. A Map of Missoula County, Montana contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Missoula County, Montana Courthouse Records
Missoula County, MT Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Missoula county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Land was added from Powell County in 1915.
- Missoula County Clerk and Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1895 and Land Records from 1865. The County Clerk and Recorder responsibilities include but are not limited to, recording and maintaining the majority of all the legal documents relating to real estate records, land descriptions, plats and surveys, county birth and death records and the records of the Board of County commissioners.
- Missoula County Clerk of District Court has Marriage / Divorce Records from 1865, Probate Records from 1865 and Court Records from 1865. The County Clerk of District Court is responsible for all District Court records. These records include Adoption, Civil, Criminal, Dependent Neglect, Domestic Relations, Guardianship, Juvenile, Paternity, Probate and Sanity cases. The clerk also issues, files and records all Madison County Marriage license applications and license.
Missoula County, Montana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Missoula County, Montana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from late 1907 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: indexes from July 1943 to present. Copies of marriage and divorce records are available from the Clerk of District Court.
- Locations: Montana Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, MT Dept. of Public Health and Human Services, 111 North Sanders, Rm 209, Helena, MT 59604-4210; (406) 444-2685
Missoula County, Montana Resources
- Ft. Missoula Historical Society / Museum
- Western Montana Genealogical Society
- Missoula County, Montana Message Boards
- Missoula County, Montana Genealogy Forum
Missoula County, Montana External Links
- Montana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Missoula County, Montana Books - Amazon
- Missoula Co., Montana - FindaGrave
- Missoula County, Montana Links - Cyndi's List
- Montana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Historical Newspapers from Montana (1866–1922)
- Missoula Co. MTGenweb
- Missoula County, Montana Ancestry Database Collections
- Missoula County, Montana Military Records