Newton County, Missouri Records
Newton County is bordered by Jasper County (north), Lawrence County (northeast), Barry County (southeast), McDonald County (south), Ottawa County, Oklahoma (west), Cherokee County, Kansas (northwest).
Newton County Cities and Towns include Diamond, Fairview, Granby, Joplin, Neosho, Seneca, Cliff Village, Dennis Acres, Grand Falls Plaza, Leawood, Loma Linda, Newtonia, Redings Mill, Ritchey, Saginaw, Shoal Creek Drive, Shoal Creek Estates, Silver Creek, Stark City, Stella, Wentworth.
A Map of Newton County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Newton County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Newton County, MO Courthouse
The Newton County Courthouse is located in Neosho, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Newton county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Courthouse burned in 1862, destroying many county records.
- Newton County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1865 and Land Records from 1839.
- Newton County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1839 and Court & Divorce Records from 1839.
- Newton County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-85 .
- Newton County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Newton County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Newton County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Newton County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Newton County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Newton County Historical Society
- Genealogy Friends of the Library
- Ozarks Genealogical Society
- Stella Historical Society, 708 Ozark, Stella, MO 64867
- Granby Historical Society, P.O. Box 45, Granby, MO 64844; Phone: (417) 472-3171
- Newton County, Missouri Message Boards
- Newton County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
Newton County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Newton County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Newton Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- The Early Families of Newton County Missouri
- Guide to Newton County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Newton County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Newton Co. MOGenweb
- Newton County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Newton County, Missouri Military Records