Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Records
Cape Girardeau County, Missouri (Map It) was created on October 1, 1812 as one of the five original counties. The county was named in honor of Sieur de Girardot, a French officer and early explorer of the region .
Cape Girardeau County is bordered by Perry County (north), Union County, Illinois (northeast), Alexander County, Illinois (east), Scott County (southeast), Stoddard County (south), Bollinger County (west).
Cape Girardeau County Cities and Towns include Cape Girardeau, Delta, Jackson, Allenville, Dutchtown, Gordonville, Oak Ridge, Old Appleton, Pocahontas, Whitewater.
A Map of Cape Girardeau County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Cape Girardeau County, MO Courthouse
The Cape Girardeau County Courthouse is located in Jackson, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cape Girardeau county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Courthouse was destroyed by fire July 18, 1870
- Cape Girardeau County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1805 and Land Records from 1805.
- Cape Girardeau County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1805 and Court & Divorce Records from 1815.
- Cape Girardeau County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-93.
- Cape Girardeau County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Cape Girardeau County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Cape Girardeau County Genealogical Society
- Cape Girardeau County Archive Center
- Cape River Heritage Museum
- Cape Girardeau County Historical Society, P.O. Box 251, Jackson, MO 63755
- Historic Association of Greater Cape Girardeau, P.O. Box 1982, 325 South Spanish, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701; Phone: (573) 334-1177
- Jackson Heritage Association
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Message Boards
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
Cape Girardeau County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Cape Girardeau Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Cape Girardeau County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Cape Girardeau Co. MOGenweb
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Military Records