Martin County, Minnesota Records
Martin County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on May 23, 1857 from Brown County and Faribault County . The county was named in honor of either Henry Martin or Morgan Lewis Martin (1805-1887). Henry Martin was a prominent landowner from Connecticut. Morgan Lewis Martin was a delegate to Congress from Wisconsin and introduced a bill for the organization of the Minnesota Territory.
Martin County is bordered by Watonwan County (north), Blue Earth County (northeast), Faribault County (east), Kossuth County, Iowa (southeast), Emmet County, Iowa (southwest), Jackson County (west), Cottonwood County (northwest).
Martin County Cities and Towns include Ceylon, Dunnell, Fairmont, Granada, Northrop, Ormsby, Sherburn, Trimont, Truman, Welcome.
Martin County Townships include Cedar, Center Creek, East Chain, Elm Creek, Fairmont, Fox Lake, Fraser, Galena, Jay, Lake Belt, Lake Fremont, Manyaska, Nashville, Pleasant Prairie, Rolling Green, Rutland, Silver Lake, Tenhassen, Waverly, Westford Townships.
A Map of Martin County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Martin County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Martin County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Martin county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Martin County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1862 and Land Records from 1857. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Martin County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1864 and Court Records from 1861. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Martin County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Martin County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Martin County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Martin County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Martin County Historical Society
- Martin County Genealogical Society
- Sherburn Area Historical Society, 333 Fox Lake Ave Apt 6, Sherburn MN 56171-9651; Phone: 507 764-2766
- Truman Historical Society, PO Box 353, Truman MN 56088-0353; Phone: 507 776-7889
- Southern Minnesota Historical Center
- Martin County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Martin County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Martin County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Martin County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Martin Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Martin County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Martin Co. MNGenweb
- Martin County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Martin County, Minnesota Military Records