Brown County, Minnesota Records
Brown County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1855 (Organized in 1856) from Blue Earth County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Renshaw Brown (1805-1870), prominent pioneer, publisher of the Minnesota Pioneer, member of the territorial legislature, 1854-55, 1857.
Brown County Cities and Towns include Cobden, Comfrey, Evan, Hanska, New Ulm, Sleepy Eye, Springfield.
Brown County Townships include Albin, Bashaw, Burnstown, Cottonwood, Eden, Home, Lake Hanska, Leavenworth, Linden, Milford, Mulligan, North Star, Prairieville, Sigel, Stark, Stately Townships.
A Map of Brown County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Brown County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Brown County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Brown county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Brown County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1857 and Land Records from 1857. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Brown County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1856 and Court Records from 1857. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Brown County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Brown County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Brown County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Brown County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Brown County Historical Society
- Comfrey Area Historical Society, PO Box 218, Comfrey MN 56019-0218
- Sleepy Eye Area Historical Society
- Springfield Area Historical Society, Box 113, Springfield, MN 56087-0113
- Wanda Gag House Association
- Southern Minnesota Historical Center
- Brown County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Brown County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Brown County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Brown County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Brown Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Brown County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Brown Co. MNGenweb
- Brown County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Brown County, Minnesota Military Records