Dakota County, Minnesota Records
Dakota County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on October 27, 1849 (Organized in 1853) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of the Dakota people, meaning an alliance or league.
Dakota County is bordered by Ramsey County (north), Washington County (northeast), Pierce County, Wisconsin (east), Goodhue County (southeast), Rice County (southwest), Scott County (west), Hennepin County (northwest).
Dakota County Cities and Towns include Apple Valley, Burnsville, Coates, Eagan, Farmington, Hampton, Hastings, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville, Lilydale, Mendota, Mendota Heights, Miesville, New Trier, Northfield, Randolph, Rosemount, South St. Paul, Sunfish Lake, Vermillion, West St. Paul.
Dakota County Townships include Castle Rock, Douglas, Empire, Eureka, Greenvale, Hampton, Marshan, Nininger, Randolph, Ravenna, Sciota, Vermillion, Waterford Townships.
A Map of Dakota County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Dakota County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Dakota County, MN Courthouse
The Dakota County Courthouse is located in Hastings, Minnesota. At some time Dakota County was attached to Ramsey County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dakota county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Dakota County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1853 and Land Records from 1852. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Dakota County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1863 and Court Records from 1853. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Dakota County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Dakota County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850 (territory), 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Dakota County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Dakota County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Dakota County Historical Society
- Dakota County Genealogical Society
- Dakota City Heritage Village, Inc.
- Farmington Area Historical Society, 2890 Pilot Knob Rd, Eagan MN 55121-1146; Phone: 651 454-4056
- Lakeville Area Historical Society
- Rosemount Area Historical Society
- Dakota County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Dakota County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Dakota County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Dakota County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Dakota Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Dakota County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Dakota Co. MNGenweb
- Dakota County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Dakota County, Minnesota Military Records