Scott County, Minnesota Records
Scott County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on March 5, 1853 from Dakota County. The county was named in honor of General Winfield Scott (1786–1866), commander in chief, U.S. Army, 1841-61; commander of American forces, Mexican War, 1847. On his recommendation, the name of Ft. St. Anthony was changed to Ft. Snelling in 1825.
Scott County Cities and Towns include Belle Plaine, Elko New Market, Jordan, New Prague, Prior Lake, Savage, Shakopee.
Scott County Townships include Belle Plaine, Blakeley, Cedar Lake, Credit River, Helena, Jackson, Louisville, New Market, Sand Creek, Spring Lake, St. Lawrence Townships.
A Map of Scott County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Scott County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Scott County, MN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Scott county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Scott County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1871, Marriage Records from 1856 and Land Records from 1853. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Scott County Court Administrator has Probate Records from ? and Court Records from 1853. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Scott County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Scott County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Scott County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Scott County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Scott County Historical Society and Stans Museum
- Belle Plaine Historical Society
- New Prague Area Historical Society
- Scott County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Scott County, Minnesota Genealogy Boards
Scott County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Scott County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Scott Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Scott County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Scott Co. MNGenweb
- Scott County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Scott County, Minnesota Military Records