Madison County, Kentucky Records
Madison County, Kentucky (Map It) was created on December 15, 1785 from Lincoln County. The county was named in honor of James Madison, President of the United States (1809–1817) .
Madison County is bordered by Fayette County (north), Clark County (northeast), Estill County (east), Jackson County (southeast), Rockcastle County (south), Garrard County (southwest), Jessamine County (northwest).
Madison County Cities and Towns include Berea, Richmond, Waco.
A Map of Madison County, Kentucky contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Madison County, Kentucky Courthouse Records
Madison County, KY Courthouse
The Madison County Courthouse is located in Richmond, Kentucky. Learn More About State of Kentucky Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Madison County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1786, Land Records from 1787 and Probate Records from 1787 - Will/Probate Record Request Form. The County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records, Probate records and Marriage Liscenses.
- Madison County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Court Records from 1786. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Madison County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Madison County Elected Officials
Madison County, Kentucky Census Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Kentucky Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Kentucky Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1911 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 1958 to present
- Locations: Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics, Kentucky State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, Department for Public Health, Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 E. Main St., 1E-A, Frankfort, KY 40621.
Madison County, Kentucky Resources
- Madison County Historical Society
- Society of Boonesborough, P.O. Box 226 , Richmond Kentucky 40476-0226
- Madison County, Kentucky Message Boards
Madison County, Kentucky External Links
- Kentucky Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Madison County, Kentucky Books - Amazon
- Kentucky Vital Records Index
- Madison Co., Kentucky - FindaGrave
- Kentucky Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Madison County, KY History - The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Madison County, Kentucky Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922)
- Madison Co. KYGenweb
- Madison County, Kentucky Ancestry Database Collections
- Madison County, Kentucky Military Records