Pottawattamie County, Iowa Records
Pottawattamie County, Iowa (Map It) was created on September 21, 1848 from Unorganized Territory. Pottawattamie County was named in honor of the Potawatomi (Pottawattamie) Native American term meaning "Blowers of Fire, " "Keepers of the Council Fires, " or "Makers of Fire."
Pottawattamie County is bordered by Harrison County (north), Shelby County (northeast), Cass County (east), Montgomery County (southeast), Mills County (south), Sarpy County, Nebraska (southwest), Douglas County, Nebraska (west), Washington County, Nebraska (northwest).
Pottawattamie County Cities and Towns include Avoca, Carson, Carter Lake, Council Bluffs, Crescent, Hancock, Macedonia, McClelland, Minden, Neola, Oakland, Treynor, Underwood, Walnut.
A Pottawattamie County, Iowa County and City Maps contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Iowa maps.
Pottawattamie County, Iowa Courthouse Records
Pottawattamie County, IA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pottawattamie county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Pottawattamie County Recorder's Office has Birth / Death Records from 1880, has Marriage Records from 1848 and has Land Records from 1849. he County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Pottawattamie County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1846and has Court Records from 1876. The County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Pottawattamie County Tax Assessor is responsible for assess and appraise all real estate and personal property, to have access to all public records of the county for the purpose of securing information pertaining to accurate listings of taxable property.
Pottawattamie County, Iowa Census Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: State Census Collection, 1836-1925, Census Collection, 1838-1870,
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Pottawattamie County, Iowa Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Iowa Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from July 1880 to present.
- Divorce Records: since 1906.
- Locations: Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of Vital Records/Statistics, Lucas State Office Bldg., First Floor, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Pottawattamie County, Iowa Resources
- State of Iowa Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Iowa
- Pottawattamie County Genealogical Society
- Pottawattamie County, Historical Society Of
- Pottawattamie County, Iowa Message Boards
Pottawattamie County, Iowa External Links
- Iowa Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Pottawattamie County, Iowa Books - Amazon
- Iowa Genealogical Society Publications for Pottawattamie County
- Pottawattamie Co., Iowa - FindaGrave
- Iowa Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Pottawattamie County, Iowa Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Iowa (1837 - 1900)
- Pottawattamie Co. IAGenweb
- Pottawattamie County, Iowa Ancestry Database Collections
- Pottawattamie County, Iowa Military Records