Steuben County, Indiana Records
Steuben County, Indiana (Map It) was created on May 1, 1837 from Unorganized Land. This county was named for Baron Frederick von Steuben, Prussian-born noble who trained colonial soldiers during the American Revolutionary War.
Steuben County is bordered by Branch County, Michigan (north), Hillsdale County, Michigan (northeast), Williams County, Ohio (east), DeKalb County (south), Noble County (southwest), LaGrange County (west).
Steuben County Cities and Towns include Angola, Ashley, Clear Lake, Fremont, Hamilton, Hudson, Orland.
Steuben County Townships include Clear Lake, Fremont, Jackson, Jamestown, Millgrove, Otsego, Pleasant, Richland, Salem, Scott, Steuben, York. See Map of Steuben County Townships.
Steuben County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Steuben County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Steuben county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Steuben County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1832, Probate Records from 1845 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Steuben County Recorder has Land Records from 1836. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Steuben County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Steuben County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from ?. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Steuben County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Steuben County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Steuben County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Steuben County Historian, Margaret A. Dilbone, P.O. Box 232, Fremont, IN 46737-0232; Home Phone: (260) 495-9852
- Steuben County Genealogical Society
- Steuben County Historical Society
- Fremont Historical Society, P.O. Box 509, Fremont, IN 46737-0509; Phone: (260) 495-4711
- Steuben County, Indiana Message Boards
Steuben County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Steuben County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Steuben County
- Steuben County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Steuben Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Steuben County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Steuben Co. INGenweb
- Steuben County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Steuben County, Indiana Military Records