DeKalb County, Indiana Records
DeKalb County, Indiana (Map It) was created on May 1, 1837 from Unorganized Land. This county was named for Johann de Kalb, German noble who trained colonial soldiers for the American Revolutionary War.
DeKalb County Cities and Towns include Altona, Ashley, Auburn, Butler, Corunna, Garrett, Hamilton, Newville, Orange, Spencerville, Saint Joe, Waterloo.
DeKalb County Townships include Butler, Concord, Fairfield, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, Keyser, Newville, Richland, Smithfield, Spencer, Stafford, Troy, Union, Wilmington. See Map of DeKalb County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
DeKalb County, Indiana Courthouse Records
DeKalb County, IN Courthouse
The DeKalb County Courthouse is located in Auburn, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1913, Probate records before 1860 were the worst loss. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in DeKalb county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- DeKalb County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1837, Probate Records from 1847 and Court Records from 1839. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- DeKalb County Recorder has Land Records from 1837. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- DeKalb County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- DeKalb County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
DeKalb County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
DeKalb County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
DeKalb County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- DeKalb County Historian, John Bry, 108 N. Cedar St., Auburn, IN 46706; Home Phone: (260) 570-8421
- DeKalb County Historical Society, 201 E. Main St., Butler, IN 46721-1409; Phone: (260) 868-0979
- DeKalb Genealogical Society
- Garrett Historical Society, P.O. Box 225, Garrett, IN 46738-0225; Phone: (260) 357-5575
- Willennar Genealogy Center, 700 S. Jackson St., Auburn, IN 46706-2267; Phone: (260) 925-2414 Ext 420
- DeKalb County, Indiana Message Boards
DeKalb County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- DeKalb County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for DeKalb County
- DeKalb County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- DeKalb Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- DeKalb County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- DeKalb Co. INGenweb
- DeKalb County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- DeKalb County, Indiana Military Records