Allen County, Indiana Records
Allen County is bordered by Noble County (northwest), DeKalb County (northeast), Defiance County, Ohio (northeast), Paulding County, Ohio (east), Van Wert County, Ohio (southeast), Adams County (southeast), Wells County (southwest), Huntington County (southwest), Whitley County (west).
Allen County Cities and Towns include Fort Wayne, New Haven, Woodburn, Grabill, Huntertown, Leo-Cedarville, Monroeville, Zanesville.
Allen County Townships include Aboite, Adams, Cedar Creek, Eel River, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Madison, Marion, Maumee, Milan, Monroe, Perry, Pleasant, Scipio, Springfield, St. Joseph, Washington, Wayne. See Map of Allen County Townships.
Allen County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Allen County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Allen county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Allen County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1824, Probate Records from 1825 and Court Records from 1824. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Allen County Recorder has Land Records from 1824. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Allen County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Allen County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1880 / 1870. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Allen County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Allen County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Allen County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Allen County Historian, Thomas E. Castaldi, 13707 Brook Hollow Court, Fort Wayne, IN 46814-9740; Home Phone: (260) 625-5987
- African/African-American Historical Museum
- Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana
- Besancon Historical Society
- Grabill Historical Society, P.O. Box 346, Grabill, IN 46741-0346; Phone: (260) 627-5227
- The History Center (Fort Wayne) / Allen County Historical Society
- Huntertown Historical Society
- Monroeville Historical Society, 407 Elm St., Monroeville, IN 46773-9340
- Allen County, Indiana Message Boards
Allen County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Allen County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Allen County
- Allen County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Allen Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Allen County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Allen Co. INGenweb
- Allen County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Allen County, Indiana Military Records